Sunday, January 13, 2008

(belated) New Years




We had our first get together with friends at our place on New Years. There were three other couples and a husky pup. It was a FUN time!

I was telling a friend, Liz, how I needed to clean again because our place got a bit messy over New Years, and she told me about the "Broken Window Effect". I haven't researched this yet, but I'm going to try it next time. Basically, the "B.W.E" is a study/theory that if a window is broken on a building, the others are more likely to get broken faster. The idea is that if things around people start to get broken/messy it'll get worse more quickly.
So, if people see empty bottles around, they're more apt to set their bottle down rather than throw it in the garbage. Or if someone sets their jacket on the floor, the next person will probably add theirs to the pile.
Basically if you do basic clean-up throughout the evening while guests are over, they will unconsciously keep things more cleaned up themselves.

It makes sense to me, so I thought I'd share. :)