I had a fantabulous birthday. It accidentally started on Thursday, because my co-worker put it in the resident newsletter as May 3rd instead of the 4th. I didn't have the heart to tell her it was wrong, so I played along as I received cards and birthday wishes from my residents a day early. I have a sweet little senile resident, Roy, who visits me twenty+ times per day and calls me "Katie". He brought me a card with $40 in it. I'm not allowed to accept gifts from residents, so I had to awkwardly give it back to him while his son was around. Roy got big tears in his eyes, and said "well, I will pray for you every day; that will be my gift to you". Isn't that the sweetest thing you've ever heard? I can't believe I made the cute little guy cry!
Thursday evening we had several of our friends over, and there were three of us with May birthdays; all of us were turning 26 too. Hannah made a chocolate cake, and we enjoyed some adult beverages and played Catch Phrase, girls vs guys. (Sadly, the girls lost.)
Last night we went out with another of our favorite "couples" and a former co-worker. We went to my favorite restaurant downtown, The Newsroom. They have a martini called "The Black & White" that's too die for. It's normally a very laid back, chillaxin' bar, but last night it got a little crazy. A big (loud) group of rugby players came dressed up in all sorts of crazy costumes. Luckily, we were in the mood for some fun, so we welcomed this. (If we would've gotten annoyed, I'm pretty sure any one of them could've easily beaten all of us up.)
We walked over to Brit's Pub after dinner. None of us had been there before, but we all loved it. There was a 70 year old British door man with a thick accent that showed us where to go. He kind of reminded me of Austin Power's dad. He was a total ladies man with a British flag on his tie and tight black pants. He led us up an elevator to a skybar. There were multiple floors with several rooms on each floor that all had a different vibe. The areas on the roof had a great view of the city; there were pillars and decks, but the walls and roof were missing. They also have "lawn bowling" on the roof, and I hope to play in the very near future.
Anyway, it was a wonderful birthday. I'm thinking that 26 will be a great year with all the excitement going on around me.
--"Katie"
